The Importance of Heartworm Prevention
At Sherwood Family Pet Clinic, the leading veterinary clinic in Sherwood, we prioritize the health and well-being of your furry family members. Heartworm prevention is a critical component of maintaining their health, and as a trusted animal hospital, we understand the importance of early diagnosis and effective prevention. We would like to discuss the significance of heartworm prevention and the steps you can take to protect your pets.
Why Heartworm Prevention Matters
Heartworm is a severe and potentially fatal disease caused by parasitic worms that live in the heart, lungs, and blood vessels of affected animals. These worms can cause irreversible damage to vital organs and even death if left untreated. Heartworm is transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito, making it essential for pet owners to prioritize prevention.
Understanding the Risks
The risk of heartworm infection varies based on several factors, including geography, climate, and mosquitoes in the area. Here in Sherwood, OR, our veterinarians at Sherwood Family Pet Clinic recommend year-round heartworm prevention to ensure your pets remain protected.
Recognizing Symptoms of Heartworm Infection
Early detection is critical in treating heartworm effectively. Some of the symptoms of heartworm infection include:
• Weight loss
• Difficulty breathing
• Back pain
• Limping due to arthritis-like symptoms
If you notice any of these symptoms in your pet, immediately consult with your veterinarian in Sherwood, OR.
Steps to Prevent Heartworm Infection
At Sherwood Family Pet Clinic, we recommend the following steps to prevent heartworm infection in your pets:
- Administer heartworm preventatives: Consult our veterinarian to choose the right preventative for your pet. These medications can be administered in various forms, including oral tablets, topical applications, or injectables.
- Regular check-ups: Schedule regular check-ups with our Sherwood Family Pet Clinic veterinarian to ensure your pet's health and maintain its heartworm prevention routine.
- Mosquito control: Minimize your pet's exposure to mosquitoes by using screens on windows and doors, eliminating standing water around your home, and using pet-safe mosquito repellents.
- Monitor your pet's health: Keep an eye on your pet's overall health and report any changes, such as coughing, limping, or arthritis-like back pain, to our vet.
- Protect Your Pet's Health
Contact Sherwood Family Pet Clinic
Heartworm prevention is essential for maintaining your pet's health and happiness. As a leading animal hospital and veterinarian in Sherwood, our team at Sherwood Family Pet Clinic is committed to providing the best care and advice to keep your pets heartworm-free. Schedule an appointment with our experienced team today to protect your pets from this dangerous disease.